Training course for family members of people suffering from mental disorders.
For more information: 800.274.274
The course and the materials provided are free. The course runs for 12 meetings.
The teachers of the course are not professionals, but family members who have already gone through a specific training. It is addressed to other family members who are living the same experience. Over two years, almost 300 family members in Italy (in Milan, Rome, Florence, Palermo and Genoa) have attended the course with very positive feedback.
Progetto Itaca has received the accreditation by NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in order to provide the course in Italy. In the USA and in Mexico more than 115.000 people have already attended the course.
• Information about psychosis, schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and borderline personality disorder
• Updated information about medication, side effects and strategies for ongoing therapy
• Updates about current scientific studies about illnesses and the most effective pharmacological and psychological therapies
• How to develop empathy through the understanding of the experience that people with a mental disorder go through
• Group work on problem solving techniques, active listening and communication
• Strategies to manage crises and relapses
• Attention to family members: managing fears, stress and emotional overload
• Guide to locate suitable supports and services in the community